My first commission, nearly 12 years ago in Louisville, KY. I had spent the year prior studying Neubecker and working on my own house: a Sear’s Kit bungalow from 1927.

The “space shit” finial in progress

After completing the ridge cresting/finial project I got my first experience repairing slate roofing. This tower featured “peach bottom” slates that had been damaged by painters and misguided repairs over time.

Before: the old finial and damage to the slates.
Repaired turret slate with new flashing for the post caps. We left the slates with old paint spills because the replacement slates cost almost 5 dollars a piece and they were sound.
A very young Kurtis, fitting the viola finial.
Advertisements